Sunday, January 24, 2010

Spicing it up!

Some people say that variety is the spice of life.



While I think some other things might qualify as the spice of life....I do agree that variety is one of them. And with that in mind, I continue to try some recipes (rather than just winging it myself).


Today is my third recipe in just a few days! I posted a picture the other day of some cookbooks. Most of these I have checked out of the library - - since they will have to go back before to much longer, I am planning on making some recipes from them. So far I think y favorite of the bunch is the one Karen asked about the other day.


Its called: RAW The UNcookbook (New vegetarian food for life) by Juliano



I like the way the book is formatted....the photos, the recipes....so today I tried the Butternut Squash Soup on page 17.








Recipe from the book:
3 c butternut squash - peeled and chopped
1 mango, cubed (peeled of course!)
2 t. curry
4c orange juice
1/2 c. honey or dates

Combine all ingredients in a blender until creamy. Garnish with banana, mint, jalepeno...etc.



Now, how I did it...

So, I used a Carnival squash - about 1/3 of it, cubed, didn't measure how much that came out to be. And I used 1 mango.

For the orange juice, I just squeezed the juice from one orange and then I also added a little fresh lime juice.

I also added half a banana and then the honey (which I did not measure either). Oh, and I added a heaping teaspoon of curry powder.

I garnished with sliced banana and a little dash of hemp seed.



I really liked this although I think it would have been plenty sweet without the honey. Next time I will trade the honey for dates - just a few - I think it will help enrich the flavor. I might also add a dash of cayenne. I like a little more spice.

This is definitely a KEEPER. I will make this again for sure.

Another thing I made today.
***NOT RAW ALERT - stop reading now if cooked will offend you ;-) ***

I made bagels. They are cooling now......I do still cook for my family - remember?? Ashley over at (never home)maker has been talking about bagels, about posting reciped and tips, so still fighting off the haunting memories of a bagel disaster from about 12 years ago...I decided to give it a go. I think they just might be edible this time! I will post later with photos...but I can tell you right now that they smell like heaven.

~Janice

Hmmm, wonder if I could do a Juliano and Janice sort of thing.....

nnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaah. I'm not that organized!!

No comments: