Thursday, February 4, 2010

Reasons Why - 1/101


There are many things I wish I had known at the beginning of my raw adventure. These things were probably written in books I had or on blogs that I was reading,  but for whatever reason they didn't REALLY hit me.

Or I just wasn't paying attention.

I thought I'd share some of the things I've come to realize or learn along the way.....things I now understand the WHY behind. I'm a big theory person. I mean I can do something just because you tell me to but it won't last if I don't really understand WHY I am doing it.

So the first thing, which I have done right from the first time I purchased them, but didn't REALLY understand the WHY until yesterday I bought a replacement is shared below.

The replacement is inferior in many ways and now I'm going to share WHY in hopefully a plain and easy way.

OK, so all over the raw food world you will see 'medjool' dates' specified.

I had read that they were 'bigger' and just tastier. So I did in fact purchase them the first time I actually went to use dates. THEN I went and purchased some California dates because they were $5/lb cheaper. Yes, you read that right

FIVE dollars A POUND less.

For the California variety.

I think they were 3.99/lb as opposed to the medjool variety which runs around 8.99/lb

Well, then they arrived.




Imagine my surprise.  My TOTAL surprise.  I actually giggled.



Until I cut them open and  took a bite.



Hmmmm, hard.  Very little meat.  Low on flavor

ALL by comparison. to the studly medjool.

You should be able to see the difference very easily from the photos.

The little California pitted dates are rather dry. And they will work fine in certain recipes but they truly just can NOT compare to the medjool dates.

And now you know WHY :)

~Janice

1 comment:

Patinaware said...

Yup!

I used to buy those smaller dates @ the grocery store years ago. They were not that bad, THEN.
But the last time i bought them, they just plain sucked.
I purchased the medjool dates a few weeks ago for the first time and let me tell you, i fell in LOVE! I could sit and eat the whole container if they weren't so dang expensive (but WELL worth the $$!!) mmmm...