Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Hemp, it's what's for dinner and lunch and breakfast

and snack!

I was dragged kicking and screaming lucky to go to Costco last week and I'm actually happy I did because while there I spotted a mammoth bag of hemp seeds AND a huge bag of RAW pine nuts!

YAY! Happy dance!

I 'knew' hemp seeds were a good food, but I think I had forgotten WHY.

Did you know that just 3 tablespoons of hemp seed (or about 1oz/28gm) have 10gm of protein!? Seriously, that's more than a quarter of the USDA recommended allowance (and I believe their figures are inflated).

And hemp is SO easy to add to your diet. At least it is for me. I sprinkle it on salads and desserts as well as putting it in shakes/smoothies.

So while I'm not totally opposed to meat at this point in my journey, I have cut WAY back and hemp is a fantastic way to know I'm getting some protein every day.

Oh, and about the fermented carrots. I tasted them at 4 days and they were ummm..'fine'. Nothing special. I let them go another day or two and then put them in the fridge. They aren't anything to write home about. I don't dislike them, but I'm not craving them or anything!

They are very garlicky. and sort of vinegary....and definitely dilly. I may chop some up tonight and add them to a salad or plate of veggies for dinner. My next experiment is going to be pickles. I printed a simple recipe for 'refrigerator pickles' from the wondernet and someone at work brought in cukes from their garden - so I'm about good to go!

Will keep you posted on that. :-)

Oh, and I'm going to try fermenting some ginger to make home 'brewed' ginger-ale.

Will hopefully have process photos for all of that. (I hate blog posts with no photos!)

No comments: